Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Outlook for 2012

We are all children at heart.  Especially when it comes to asking questions!  Consumers today remind me of my 2 year old daughter, asking the same questions over and over and hoping/praying for different results.
 "Can I have candy?"   "Are we there yet?"  "How about now?"

Thankfully adults have more mature questions like, "How's the market, now?"  So without further adieu I will try and predict the market in the Bemidji area for 2012!  Using local MLS statistics I have compiled some facts and some speculation based on what I have heard and what I know to be true.
  •  The total number of listings in Bemidji is down 21%. I believe that more sellers are waiting until prime spring/summer season to list, because the need to sell isn't as great as it has been in the past few years.
  •  There are 26% more homes pending this year than last year at this same time.  With the mild winter it has been easier for buyers to get out to look at homes.  Also, I see an influx of first time home buyers fueling the market and getting things moving.  
  • 41% more homes sold.  This speaks for itself.  The market is rebounding and homes are selling.
  • The total volume of homes sold is up 90%! In my opinion this shows that with the first time buyers finally fueling the market, sellers are able to be move-up buyers and move more expensive homes that in the past few years have been taking longer to sell.  Also, because interest rates are so low buyers are able to afford a larger home.
  • The average sale price is up from $122,016 last year at this time to $164,313 year to date.  I believe this is due to the fact that the average buyer is able to buy a larger home because of low interest rates. 
One of the other questions that gets asked frequently is, "What effect do foreclosures have on Bemidji's market?"  I believe that we will start to see less foreclosures in our area compared to the past 5 years and that the average price of those foreclosed homes will go up.  During those past 5 years we have had an influx of lower valued foreclosures that have brought the average sale price down for our area considerably.  Homeowners with homes of greater value seem to have been able to hold on to their homes longer, but we are now starting to see some of them come on to the market as foreclosures.

I hate to sound like a broken record or like my 2 year old, but remember, NOW IS THE TIME!  Don't miss out.  I believe that the market is now on the rise and people will be kicking themselves in the future for missing out on this wonderful opportunity to buy in Bemidji!  So get out there and find your dream home, vacation cabin, or rental property today!


No comments: